Since the Coalition began offering low-cost spay/neuter in the Black Hills, the number of cats being put down in the shelter has dropped dramatically:
Spay and Neuter Facts
Based on statistics published at the Humane Society of the United States website (2006):
- Feline average years of fertility: 7
- Average number of litters a fertile cat can produce in one year: 3
- Average number of kittens in a feline litter: 4-6
- Average cost to shelter a stray cat for the three required days, plus euthanasia and disposal: $70 per cat. (Note: this cost does not include feral trapping and transport by animal control officers.)
- In 2008, when the Coalition began to offer spay/neuter clinics in Rapid City, 69% of the cats taken in at the Humane Society of the Black Hills were euthanized. In 2010, only 49% were euthanized.
- In actual numbers, 50% fewer cats were euthanized in 2010 than were euthanized in 2008.
We hope that you will help us save lives through spay/neuter. Donate or volunteer for the Coalition. It's easy! Get started today!